Thursday, January 3, 2008

Almost Excuses - What's yours?

Last night I was so pumped up about this 25-day Twitter fitness challenge, but then... Tim & I fell asleep on the couch. It wasn't until 1:50 AM when we woke up with a sore neck and decided to get our butts upstairs. Unfortunately, sometimes when I wake up mid-sleep it takes me forever to get back to my nice dozy state that'll result in some shut-eye. I tossed and I turned. Thoughts of our 25-day fitness challenge rolled through my head. After a few hours, I reset my alarm clock realizing that there was NO WAY I'd be able to wake up an hour early to do the ashtanga yoga class I was hoping to do. I reset it to get up a half hour early for the treadmill. The last time I looked at the alarm clock it was 4:50 AM. Less than 2.5 hrs later, the damn buzzer went off. I hit snooze. Was I actually going to get up early for a run or use this precious time to get just a little extra sorely needed sleep? Damn this 25-day challenge, but I got up and ran on the treadmill. I was not going to be the girl who started this fitness challenge but then coped out on the first day.

So that's my "almost excuse" - a.k.a lame reason that almost led me to not exercise. What's yours? How did (or do) you overcome it?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Got to work, and found I didn't have exercise shorts (sigh). Won't be home until after 9 pm tonight, so it will be the exercise bike for me; at least with the bike at home, ultimately I have no excuses.

Wicked Stepmom said...

My 'Almost Excuse' was:

"It's effin' 15 degrees outside!!! I can't possibly take my 2 yr old out in this!!"

But I bundled Gretel and myself up anyway and went for a 15 minute (moderately brisk) walk around the neighborhood.

I stopped thinking about the reasons why I wouldn't do it and just got dressed and DID IT.

Danacea said...

Spent an hour in the gym this morning and yesterday; may not get time tomorrow but will try - as I'm up for the ladies 5,000 meters rowing challenge at the end of the month! Hoping to get my arse back on my bike if the weather clears before I go back to work :)

ClunkClunk said...

I was going to but then the rain started and water started coming in the back door of my apartment. Took me a while to strategically place some stuff so it didn't leak too badly, and there went the time I set aside for exercise.

Tomorrow I will prevail!

Tracy Lee said...

Well, the New Year is off to a slow start for me, but things are about to ramp up into the normal flow of things. My older daughter had surgery the 27th and I have been taking care of her since. Last night I put her on a plane for LA and on Saturday she leaves for New Zealand for three weeks. So, there's my excuse...

I did brave the sub-human weather for a photo walk until my fingers were no longer connected to the rest of my body. A half an hour walk in 3 degree windy weather must count for something.

Today I am going to be back with my trainer and he is going to kick my much needed butt as I haven't been in to workout with him since December 14th, three weeks ago. Yikes!

Elsie said...

Thank you much for your post Sonya! How cool is this deal? I love it! I've been working full time in fitness/health and the like for quite a while now (being a yoga instructor and all) and currently I'm no longer doing it (as my job). I'm now basically in front of a computer for 8hrs a day :( Huge change for me.

I took it upon myself to incorporate some sort of physical engagement into this process so I've naturally challenged myself to engage in the physical fitness thing instinctively.

Physical Fitness is not just getting to the gym and doing some sort of aerobic or weight bearing exercise. It involves so much more than that, it requires that we become aware of our bodies holistically, especially by becoming more sensitive to both ourselves and our environment.

Here is just one point about this getting back to your post Sonya:

For example, lack of sleep, can hinder weight loss:

"Dr. Kingman Strohl, of University Hospitals in Cleveland, is a sleep expert who probably surprises a lot of people with his belief that getting enough rest is just as important as exercising and monitoring what you eat if you are trying to lose weight.

"I think you have to raise the importance of sleep to the same level as you do with nutrition and exercise," he said.

Strohl said that lack of sleep changes blood-sugar levels and metabolism. It also affects impulse control, and it's harder for people to pass on food they know they shouldn't be eating."

So, Sonya, honoring your body's desire for sleep is not in itself 'bad' or weak or against your goal of physical fitness and health. It may be a way for you to, as you take on the world with a rested mind, be able to make better and better choices throughout the day regarding your overall health ;)

Great job, and I'll will be supporting you and all of us that choose to engage more auspiciously with our bodies!