Monday, January 7, 2008

Body for Life Cardio Plan

I've done Body for Life in the past and dropped a solid 25 pounds in a month. To be honest, I'm not doing it now, but only because I am preparing for the Air Force Fitness Test which is centered around running, push-ups and crunches. In order to do best, one must simply work really hard on those three areas prior to the test. Eventually I'll resume the basic Body for Life workouts.

Be sure and post today's activity below!

Here is the Cardio plan from http://www.bodyforlife.com/:

Cardio workouts are indispensable to an effective training program and general good health. By definition, cardio workouts can be any exercise—jogging, running, biking, swimming, elliptical machine, stairs, even jumping rope—that raises and maintains your heart rate over a predetermined amount of time. By doing so, you strengthen your heart and lungs and lower your resting heart rate, which means that over time the same effort that produced a 10-minute mile will produce a 9-minute mile. Cardio workouts burn fat. And cardio fitness is what gives you endurance and the ability to persist in sports and in life.

The Benefits of Cardio

  • Increases metabolic rate
  • Increases growth hormone secretion
  • Reduces stress levels
  • Increases blood flow to the brain increasing alertness
  • Improve cholesterol levels
  • Improves digestion
  • Boosts immune-system function

20-Minute Aerobics Solution™ — The Official Body-for-LIFE Cardio Plan




  1. Warm up the first 2 minutes at Intensity Level 5
  2. Minutes 2-3 move from Intensity Level 5 to 6
  3. Minutes 4-5, 6-10 and 11-14 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 9, maintain for one minute.
  4. Minutes 15-19 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 10 (High Point at Level 10), maintain for one minute.
  5. Minute 20 cool down to Intensity Level 5 for one minute.

Alternate weight-training and cardio workouts for six consecutive days and rest on the seventh day.

9 comments:

Tracy Lee said...

And what did my trainer first tell me to do when I first started working with him? Get the book Eating for Life by Bill Phillips and follow that plan. I have to tell you, when I do follow it, the weight just drops off. The hardest part for me is eating everything I am supposed to and as often as needed. But, it works! And you feel so much better and more energetic when you do eat right.

Check it out. The recipes are easy and are good for families as well. Nothing weird, just good common sense.

Well, off to the gym I go! Check back with you later.

--Tracy Lee

Brooke (Geokitten78) said...

Today's workout:

30 minute circut @ Curves, 30 minutes on elliptical for which I made an exchange with df to go rock climbing.

It should be an interesting day, seeing as how I'm still sore from yesterday's workout!

dcm said...

I had a nice workout today.

Cardio: Running/Walking - it was tough today, still adjusting to the altitude

Weights: Chest press, lat pulldown, triceps push downs, crunches

Plenty of stretching.

Unknown said...

My workout was really good today. I did a spin class for 1 hour. I couldn't keep up with the pace most of the time but I tried. I'll get there soon.

That was it. Tomorrow weights.

Wicked Stepmom said...

CARDIO

23 min / 1.13 miles on treadmill. Moderate incline.

Ann said...

My life...passed before my eyes today. An hour of boot camp aerobics with the head drill instructor. I wonder if I will even be able to get out of bed in the morning.

Owww..ow and ow! But worth the effort. Hopefully my teaching schedule will accomodate taking this class 2 nights a week.

AnnOhio

Suki Fuller said...

Workout:
10 min warm -up stretch
1)50 Sit-ups
2)3 sets of 5 Swiss Hip Extentions on the Flex Stability Ball
3)1/2 mile walk
10 min cool down

Got my new Runner's World Mag today, highly motivated. I am not playing around. I feel much better this evening.

Brooke (Geokitten78) said...

Scratch that previous comment. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill (1 mile) because I could barely walk yesterday!

Anonymous said...

Workout plan is the best way to lose wight and build muscles