Thursday, January 3, 2008

Day 3?

Well it's January 3rd, so I can't really call this Day 1, but it really is for the Twitter PT Challenge. As Sonya pointed out, this is an opportunity to help each out via accountability. So when my alarm went off at 0515 AM, I didn't even let the usual thoughts of "I'm too tired to work out" pass through my mind. I made my coffee, watched the news and readied my clothes for the day. Next I headed out to Peterson Air Force Base here in Colorado Springs to work out at the base gym.

Right at the start this poses an interesting question for many people. "But Dan, I don't belong to a gym or don't have access to one, what do I do?" It should be perfectly clear, this is the Twitter PT Challenge, not preparation for a marathon or a big weight loss event, though you could use it for that. This challenge is designed to help you get yourself into a routine. That means it might only be stretching and walking 5 or 6 days a week. Or it could mean 3 hours at the gym everyday. It's up to you!

Why I did I respond to Sonya's tweet the other day? She said in her tweet "Who's up for joining me on a 25-day fitness challenge to kickstart the New Year - to be completed by the end of THIS January? " I hemmed and hawed mentally. I usually work out 3 times a week, and I've lost some weight and my run times have improved, but it hasn't been enough. I was going to thoroughly ignore Sonya, but my conscience wouldn't let me. I responded.

A year ago nearly to the day, I had a pretty bad accident involving me and a gun, the gun nearly won. So I've gone from wheelchair to running over the past 12 months. This is part of getting back into shape for my US Air Force Reserve career (I've vowed not to wear a flight suit until I'm in significantly better form - you shouldn't see me in a flight suit and wonder if the technologically superior USAF has somehow managed to get a man pregnant).

All I think each of us should do, is accomplish our personal workout. Than I'd like to see us share what we did. I'll do a comment to setup a framework for how it could be done. You can comment however you feel most comfortable.

16 comments:

dcm said...

Today's Workout:

Cardio: Ran 1.5 miles in 18 minutes (sloooow)

Weights: Lat Pulldowns, Chest Press, Push-ups, and Crunches

Time: 50 minutes

It was a tough workout. I've been "off" for 2 weeks at sea-level. We're at over 6,000 feet here and oxygen is hard to come by! Within a week or 2 my run time should be much quicker.

GoOrange said...

Twitter PT Challenge - Cool!

Yesterday's workout (1-2-08)

Weights: Squats, Romanian deadlifts, barbell lunges, power cleans, rotary calf press and twist crunches.

This is the first week of a new program and so the weights were a little light, but I wanted to concentrate on perfect form and gauge what weights I'm comfortable with for the exercises I haven't done in a while.

Unknown said...

Today's workout:

Cardio: Walked/Ran on the treadmill for 30 minutes, about 2 miles or so.

Since I haven't been to the gym in quiet some time, I decided this week will be a ramp up week, basically doing cardio and getting my body used to being up early and going to the gym.

This is day 3 for me.

Brooke (Geokitten78) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina said...

First of all - congratulations on all of your progress in the last year. Wheelchair to running is freaking amazing.

I'm doing the challenge too -- not to lose weight, but to get back in a routine and maybe add some muscle (putting on a few lbs would probably do me good - I'm sort of uncomfortable with weighing under 100 lbs). I won't be able to do my workout until later this afternoon, but I'll post when I do.

Great job!

Sonya Buyting said...

Today's workout:

30 Minutes of fast walking, jogging, and running.

Suki Fuller said...

Today's Workout

Cardio: Jogged 2.0 miles in 22 minutes

No one was in the gym, sauna was great but should now be going to bed (not feeling so hot)!!

Hooeyspewer said...

Today's workout:

Walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes to warm up (2+ miles 2% grade)

Did an hour workout with my trainer. Stretches, Crunches, Planks, Walking Lunges with weight, Weighted Squats, Step ups with weight, Pulldowns, Chest press, Leg Press,... you get the idea. I'll be sore tomorrow as I haven't worked out since 12/17.

Thanks for this motivation btw. The reason I work out with a trainer is because I am skilled at making excuses to not work out at all. An appointment gives me almost no way out. Tomorrow, I'm on my own. With all of you in this too, I don't see myself rationalizing my way out of it this month :)

GoOrange said...

Today's workout (day 2 of 25)

Weights: Incline bench press, reverse grip bent over rows, push presses, pullups, hanging leg raises. 2 sets of 15 reps, light weights with about 30-45 seconds rest between sets.

Time: ~1 hr.

I'm completely exhausted now.

Great job everyone!

Brooke (Geokitten78) said...

Today's workout (1-3-08):

3 miles on the treadmill in 46 minutes. 4 minutes cool down.

Brooke (Geokitten78) said...

Repost of comment (sorry!):

I'm so in! Yesterday's workout (1-2-08): 2 miles at 4.2 mph (I'm not a runner); 1 mile at 3.5 mph. Total time: 50 minutes. Weights = rock climbing @ the gym.

One of these days I'll get myself back to the gym across the street from work, but until then, I have weights and a treadmill at home. :-)

Ann said...

Today...

75 minutes of yoga. Wow, I forgot just how much I love this class and how good I feel afterwards.

dcm said...

A great day for sure! I'll make a posting for tomorrow.

Wicked Stepmom said...

Cardio - brisk 15 minute walk around the neighborhood (pushing Gretel in her stroller in 15 degree temps!)

10 minutes floor stretching.

***

Substituted my regular 2 cups of sweet, extra light coffee w/ cream for one cup of green tea.

Took a multi-vitamin and extra Vit E to keep my ticker happy.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, am starting year off with a strained foot. Waiting for go-ahead from doc to hit the gym.

In the meantime I did some weights - arms and shoulders.

And I took the dog for an extra long walk.

Jan. 3rd - Day 1.

Erica Ortiz said...

Today is day one for me (first time in 8 months) Joined gym and did their Body Pump class (http://www.lesmills.com/bodypump). Had incredible results a year ago with it, trying it again.

Cosmic stars must've aligned because my new instructor is the same guy that used to teach the class in Columbus, GA... 4 hours south of where I moved to now! (cue its a small world...)

Anyways, even though I'm a veteran in Body Pump 101 form/technique, I'm 8 months out of shape and knew in my head to go light. I still somehow overshot weight on my squats, because my legs are already jelly and I'm feeling quite a painful day tomorrow in order. I couldn't even do lunges they hurt so bad....

Ahhh, feeling the burn!