Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Whatcha talkin' about f'tness?

fit·ness [fit-nis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. health.
2. capability of the body of distributing inhaled oxygen to muscle tissue during increased physical effort.

According to this definition, fitness either means health or the body's capacity to deliver oxygen to our muscles when exercising. (There was a 3rd definition about Darwinian fitness, but for the sake of this post - I left it out.)

The Twitter PT Challenge was born after I issued what I called the 25-day Twitter Fitness Challenge. Now that we're more than half way through, I thought it was time to reflect on the original challenge. Fitness challenge. That could mean a lot of things to a lot of people. To me, at the time, it mean that I wanted to workout more - get in better shape. It hasn't been long, but that is happening.

To address the health definition, I am feeling better every day. Yoga is back in my life on a regular basis, so is running. Since I don't want to throw my efforts away, I'm eating a lot better too. Taking this all into consideration, my overall health is improving.

Now onto the second definition - how well my body circulates blood to my muscles. Every day I challenge myself more on the treadmill. I boost my speed, my incline, and my overall time. Slowly, but surely, my breath and muscles are adjusting. It always surprises me how quickly it's possible to notice some results. Heck - it makes me wonder why I ever let it slide in the first place!!!

How are you all feeling? Are you getting the results you want?

6 comments:

dcm said...

Sonya,

Great post. I'm feeling pretty good. I am back down to my pre-holiday weight.

Workout
Leg press
Seated leg curl
Crunches
Pushups

Ann said...

I am really feeling the pain after tonight's Zumba class. 60 minutes of hopping, shaking and jumping around was quite an experience. The jury is still out on whether I love this..right now, not so much--it's hard on my ankles. I'm going to alternate Zumba and Yoga on Thursday nights I think.

I am feeling better, I'm not ready to hop on the scales at this point. The important part is to keep moving, to do something. The little and the big aches and pains that you feel now will pay off down the road.

My plan is to keep active as putting money in the bank towards a better quality of life for the next 20 years.

Brooke (Geokitten78) said...

Ann, I read on a fitness website that you should try a new activity twice. If you don't like it after the second time, then don't worry about it. :-)

Thursday's workout (13 of 25):

35 min on the treadmill; 2.5 miles

I'm getting faster! Yesterday I discovered that getting engrossed in a tv show helps the time go by much faster. I didn't even think about how fast I was walking.

Wicked Stepmom said...

Thurs: 30 minutes treadmill. 1.4 miles. (While watching Finding Nemo!)

Suki Fuller said...

20 mins exercise ball
1 hour Mat Pilates

Really need to work on abs more. I am feeling great though...can not complain.

Tracy Lee said...

Since my hubby came home after traveling around the globe for the past 12 days, I took the morning off to be with him. :)