Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tuesday January 15th - Half Way!

Well it's been 2 weeks into the month and into our Twitter PT Challenge. This site and challenge isn't necessarily about making huge strides in physical fitness for each of us, it's about developing consistency and good habits.

From the Aristotle blog:"Dr Maxwell Maltz wrote the bestseller Psycho-Cybernetics. Originally a Plastic Surgeon, Maltz noticed that it took 21 days for amputees to cease feeling phantom sensations in the amputated limb. From further observations he found it took 21 days to create a new habit. Since then the '21 Day Habit Theory' has become an accepted part of self-help programs.

Brain circuits take engrams (memory traces), and produce neuroconnections and neuropathways only if they are bombarded for 21 days in a row. This means that our brain does not accept ‘new’ data for a change of habit unless it is repeated each day for 21 days (without missing a day)." Source: http://www.aristotle.co.nz/library/series.aspx?seriesId=61

So if you can keep this going for another week, that is the mindset that each day you are doing some sort of worthwhile fitness exercise, you'll be in the habit of working out and on the path to a healthier lifestyle.

I think it's also notable that we have been supporting each other with comments over the last two weeks, I think that is part of keeping things going becaues just knowing somebody cares about you and you in turn care about them is a strong motivational factor.

Keep up the great work. Be sure and log today's workout in this posting's comments.

Thanks,

Dan Mosqueda

5 comments:

Danacea said...

In spite of the fact my comments are less regular than they should be, I've found just being in touch with other people making their own effort to really galvanise me to go that extra five minutes, push that extra lift.

I have the ladies' 5,000 meters rowing competition coming up at the end of the month; I took part last year and managed to come in fourth (out of about 20) - this year, I'm not nearly as fit as I was then and had been about to pull out.

Guess I can't now, can I? *Grin!*

Tracy Lee said...

No, danacea, there's not pulling out now! Just onward and upward. Even if you don't do as well as you did last year, it will be good to know that you did do it.

Today, it was back to the gym and my trainer for a 50 minutes circuit working on those skiing legs. Since I took a "face slide" last night, I am a bit sore today. The resistance training was a bit intense but I kept plugging along. It is funny when you do your first set of reps and it is hard, the second and third get easier.

I followed up my circuit with 30 minutes on a cross trainer. All the while knowing that a massage was waiting for me when I was done. Man, did that massage feel good!

Don't forget to drink LOTS of water to stay hydrated. VERY important.

GoOrange said...

Way to go everyone! Just reading the comments of people overcoming their schedules to squeeze in some exercise gets me motivated.

Workout 12 of 25

Weights: Incline benchpress, bent over rows, shoulder press, pullups, close grip bench press, leg raises, flies.

Time: One hour and forty minutes.

dcm said...

Workout
Seated leg curl
Leg press
Standing calf

It was a short, but great workout. Followed the Body for life method in terms of reps and how I did it.

Brooke (Geokitten78) said...

Workout 11 of 25:

45 min on treadmill (3 miles)
15 of that was on an incline

I still haven't mustered up the desire to do some weightlifting. Do you guys have any suggestions for getting up the motivation to weight train?