Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wicked Wednesday: Sealed with a K.I.S.S.

My TwitterPT Challenge goal: Keep It Simple Stupid.

Anything less will surely be the kiss of death to completing my goals. Forget the fancy equipment or gym memberships (I have neither). I can still accomplish my basic cardio and weight training at home with little or no equipment.

How? I'm glad you asked!

Cardio
From Martha Stewart's website (I know, I know. Here I go with the talk shows again! Hey, at least I'm not eating bon-bons while watching them. I'm WALKING!):
"You already have all the complex, high-tech machinery you need to get into shape: your two legs. Walking works the major muscle groups of the body, raises your heart rate, burns calories, and lowers your blood pressure with a third of the impact running has on your joints. "Plus, walking makes you feel more in control of your life and gives you the energy to get things done," says Therese Iknoian, author of "Fitness Walking.""
I'm lucky that I now have a treadmill. But before that I was walking the neighborhood, dancing in the living room with the kids or just taking a few laps up and down my dungeon stairs.

The article goes on to break walking regimen into three phases with simple and attainable goals to help you continue beyond the two weeks that are left in this challenge.

Weight Resistence
I found these simple ideas for how to use everyday household items in the home to obtain the weight resistance benefits. Some of the exercises include:

  • Chest: Wall Push-ups
  • Back: Standing Rows (wrap a towel around a pole or column and pull/row yourself up to the pole)
  • Shoulder Presses: Using soup cans or milk jugs.
  • Leg Squats: holding onto a chair
Be sure and log your workout from today and comments below!

7 comments:

dcm said...

Here's my workout for tonight! I just couldn't do it this morning:

Workout
Ran
Lat pulldowns
Lat Raises
Arm Curls
Tricep Press
Fly (pecs/delts)

and the Sauna!

Ann said...

Tonight...near death aerobics for an hour...

Suki Fuller said...

Nice 2 miles AM Run

Even better 2 miles PM run

Daily Total= 4 miles

Yeah baby!!

Tracy Lee said...

Congratulations on keeping up with things when your schedule doesn't allow you to stick to your normal routine, Dan.

Aerobics for an hour, Ann?! That's fabulous! I'll bet you felt great when you were done.

Suki, morning and night?! Excellent! I could ski all day, but I know I can't run for 4 miles.

Speaking of skiing, I skied for about four hours with a school group that I have skied with the past four years. It was a brilliant, bright, sunny day! It elt so good.

Sonya Buyting said...

I haven't posted my workouts for the last few days, but I've gotten some runs and tough yoga classes in. Keeping it up!! :)

Brooke (Geokitten78) said...

Wednesday (day 12 of 25):

30 minutes on elliptical at ~85% max hr; 2.5 miles.

Then I did something stupid and tried to do pull ups without warming up my muscles and pulled some serious muscles in my neck and shoulder. Ugh.

It's a good thing you don't need your arms (or head!) for the treadmill, which is where I'm headed tonight!

Wicked Stepmom said...

20 minutes on treadmill.

50 wall pushups.